GEN2GEN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GEN2GEN Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog inWhat is your fave Retro RPG and why BxhJj1y
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What games are you playing?
What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty13/01/16, 05:22 pm by queenzelda

» Rodea delayed again
What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty13/01/16, 05:18 pm by queenzelda

» What's on your mind
What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty13/08/15, 11:58 pm by queenzelda

» Post some funny stuff
What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty12/08/15, 06:10 pm by queenzelda

» Welcome thread
What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty12/08/15, 06:00 pm by queenzelda

» Anyone need anything?
What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty06/08/15, 05:08 pm by sonikku

» Fave Nintendo system
What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty06/08/15, 05:05 pm by sonikku

» Are you voting?
What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty06/08/15, 04:52 pm by sonikku

» Music you\re listening to now
What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty03/08/15, 04:15 pm by queenzelda

What is your fave Retro RPG and why

Go down 
+7
Calshot
Yama
LawXiu
sonikku
Wude
KiBa
Segata
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty
PostSubject: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty08/08/12, 11:43 pm

Ys Booke I & II

While YS series if my fave series ever. My fave game is the first two.

Ys while back in 1986 borrowed from Zelda in overhead adventure type game. It also did alot different. The Bump system. You bump into enemies at certain angles to defeat them. I love it some don't. The music to me is some of the best music ever made for a game. Composed by Yuzo Koshiro famous for Streets of Rage,Shenmue. It's Zelda with an added cool factor. Also if you played the original TG16 CD version(also on Wii VC) you see it was the first game with Voice acting and one of the first game to have anime cut scenes. First two games have some of the best boss fights in any game. They are so well designed. I play the game now and feel how awesome this was in 1990 despite my first experience with the series is 2010.

The series was never huge on story but more on awesome music and gameplay. Lastly it has my fave gaming character. Dogi. A blue haired guy who can knock down walls and mountains like nothing.
Back to top Go down
KiBa
Kupo
Kupo
KiBa

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty09/08/12, 12:26 am

I'll have to take a look at Ys. I never have time, but everyone says it's so good.

I never really played retro RPGs outside of Phantasy Star on the Genesis and some early Zeldas, like most action gamers, probably. I think probably Final Fantasy Adventure was the best Game Boy game I ever played. Awesome music and world, fun, interesting story...
Back to top Go down
Wude
Kupo
Kupo
Wude

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty09/08/12, 11:47 am

I played a lot of nes/snes RPGs, they all have the essential elements that make them good and enjoyable, but my fav retro RPG so far is Lufia II.
What is your fave Retro RPG and why BBY0a
Back to top Go down
http://ichi-3dstuff.blogspot.com
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty11/08/12, 12:09 pm

I need to get it. There is a port or remake on DS. Should I go SNES or DS?
Back to top Go down
Wude
Kupo
Kupo
Wude

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty11/08/12, 01:58 pm

imo, you should play the snes version, then play the remake if want :)
Back to top Go down
http://ichi-3dstuff.blogspot.com
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty11/08/12, 06:23 pm

I honestly think Final Fantasy VI is the best in the series. Kefka is the most teisted mother fucker in all the series. Septh was just a angry Momma's boy. Kefka. Why did he destroy the world? Because he felt like it. That's it. The story is great and has some of the best music in the series. Honestly anytime I hear and watch this intro.
Back to top Go down
sonikku
Kupo
Kupo
sonikku

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty12/08/12, 03:00 pm

FF6 was my favorite in the series. Every character seemed to have a tragic history that spoke to your heart beyond the limited sprites of the SNES. The only thing FF7 has that truly punched me in the gut as hard as some of their stories was when they did away with Aeris after building an attachment to her. I wanted a resurrection quest so bad back in the day, but in hindsight Square was right not to go down that road. Fiction doesn't realize that death has no meaning when it can be whisked away with a plot mechanism.
Back to top Go down
LawXiu
King Slime
King Slime
LawXiu

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty12/08/12, 04:14 pm

I have 13 and I can't really get into it. I don't know what it is about the series but I really can't get into it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gen2gens.com
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty12/08/12, 04:21 pm

Grandia. Grandia II is my fave in the series hence my name however I feel I need to talk about the first. Now Game Arts in the early 90's had this new series called Lunar. It was a moderate success. However they knew they needed to beat Square. So they laid every card they could on the table to create a new game to compete with Final Fantasy. They figured if they added big worlds,Voice Acting,CGI cutscenes and a nice charming story and good characters they could. Game Arts had a couple flaws one they had a thing for SEGA systems. At the time might have seemed a good idea but who could have known about Sony. Grandia was an amazing game and just before Final Fantasy 7. For a brief moment Game Arts had beat Square. The music was fantastic. It had a charming hero and charming colorful game. At the time that was awesome! Square went dark and brooding. However while the creator died and I made a tribute and btw Idaware himself shared it and thanked me

Back to top Go down
LawXiu
King Slime
King Slime
LawXiu

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty12/08/12, 04:36 pm

Skies of arcadia also wasn't too bad. I managed to get a copy a few years ago for DC. I'd advise anyone to buy it ASAP as the prices are going up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gen2gens.com
Yama
Kupo
Kupo
Yama

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty17/08/12, 12:10 am

If we're talking retro retro, then...

What is your fave Retro RPG and why 256px-PopfulMailBox
Back to top Go down
sonikku
Kupo
Kupo
sonikku

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty17/08/12, 10:12 am

LawXiu wrote:
Skies of arcadia also wasn't too bad. I managed to get a copy a few years ago for DC. I'd advise anyone to buy it ASAP as the prices are going up.

I'll say. I took a peek on ebay for Legends a week or two ago and it seemed to be fetching full retail price used. Shocked No biggie in my case I suppose, I picked up the Dreamcast version within a month of it's release back in the day. It lacks some of the bonus content, but is still the better looking (vga mode) and better sounding (less compressed music over two discs) of the two versions.
Back to top Go down
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty17/08/12, 10:27 am

Luckily I picked up Legends in 2004 brand new for 20$. SOA on DC for 16$ back then. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty17/08/12, 10:28 am

Yama wrote:
If we're talking retro retro, then...

What is your fave Retro RPG and why 256px-PopfulMailBox

I need a SEGA CD.

I keep hearing about this game. What is it and what makes it so awesome?
]
Back to top Go down
Yama
Kupo
Kupo
Yama

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty17/08/12, 10:34 am

It's as if Atlus developed Spellcaster/Peacock King/Warrior Quest (SMS). Enough said, haha.
Back to top Go down
Calshot
Kupo
Kupo
Calshot

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty17/08/12, 03:06 pm

sonikku wrote:
LawXiu wrote:

I'll say. I took a peek on ebay for Legends a week or two ago and it seemed to be fetching full retail price used. Shocked No biggie in my case I suppose, I picked up the Dreamcast version within a month of it's release back in the day. It lacks some of the bonus content, but is still the better looking (vga mode) and better sounding (less compressed music over two discs) of the two versions.

I own the Dreamcast version of SoA. Is the extra content in Legends significant enough to warrant a purchase?
Back to top Go down
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty17/08/12, 03:14 pm

Not really. Just a few side stories and modes.
Back to top Go down
sonikku
Kupo
Kupo
sonikku

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty17/08/12, 03:16 pm

I don't know. I haven't played it. Razz It apparently has a evil doppelganger version of Vyse and co you get to go up against, and bounties you can cash in on for fighting difficult bosses that level up with you. The frequency of the random encounters is also supposedly a little less. I'd seriously buy it if it had no randoms while flying around in your airship. Maybe I'm just too spoiled by final fantasy, but getting lost in the Maelstrom or whatever and getting confused and turned around every few seconds by another random encounter almost made me put the game back on the shelf.
Back to top Go down
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Kupo
Kupo
Segata Sanshiro Jr.

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty18/08/12, 04:19 am

Its really hard since Rent a Hero is my favorite game of all time, Final Fantasy 6 shaped my writing style and Fire Emblem 5 is a game I've beaten over 15 times.

Then theres Ys....Man this is not the topic for someone like me. I remember RPGs like former lovers.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzlHDjpYiuU  http://anewchallenge
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty18/08/12, 09:56 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Its really hard since Rent a Hero is my favorite game of all time, Final Fantasy 6 shaped my writing style and Fire Emblem 5 is a game I've beaten over 15 times.

Then theres Ys....Man this is not the topic for someone like me. I remember RPGs like former lovers.

Haha I know the feeling! Also the reason it was started to get you talking about them all! :vivi:
Back to top Go down
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty21/08/12, 10:27 am

:XG: Citan

I can think of two people who sparkle seeing this
Back to top Go down
Frozen
Kupo
Kupo
Frozen

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty21/08/12, 10:31 am

Does Kingdom Hearts count as an RPG?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/FrozenOsu
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty21/08/12, 10:32 am

It is but not sure it's retro yet. IMO Retro is 2 generations behind.
Back to top Go down
Frozen
Kupo
Kupo
Frozen

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty21/08/12, 10:34 am

Ryudo wrote:
It is but not sure it's retro yet. IMO Retro is 2 generations behind.

So when the Wii U is out, I can call it retro? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/FrozenOsu
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty21/08/12, 10:38 am

Good point
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is your fave Retro RPG and why   What is your fave Retro RPG and why Empty

Back to top Go down

What is your fave Retro RPG and why
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next