GEN2GEN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GEN2GEN Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog inGamestop bringing back retro games BxhJj1y
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What games are you playing?
Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty13/01/16, 05:22 pm by queenzelda

» Rodea delayed again
Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty13/01/16, 05:18 pm by queenzelda

» What's on your mind
Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty13/08/15, 11:58 pm by queenzelda

» Post some funny stuff
Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty12/08/15, 06:10 pm by queenzelda

» Welcome thread
Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty12/08/15, 06:00 pm by queenzelda

» Anyone need anything?
Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty06/08/15, 05:08 pm by sonikku

» Fave Nintendo system
Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty06/08/15, 05:05 pm by sonikku

» Are you voting?
Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty06/08/15, 04:52 pm by sonikku

» Music you\re listening to now
Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty03/08/15, 04:15 pm by queenzelda

Gamestop bringing back retro games

Go down 
+3
LawXiu
sonikku
Segata
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty
PostSubject: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty31/08/12, 12:57 am

Thoughts?

Me it's too little to late. I have Play N Trade whioch has better prices take better care of the games in general better customer service. I also have my local shop I did a video on.
Back to top Go down
sonikku
Kupo
Kupo
sonikku

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty31/08/12, 12:34 pm

Not interested. I don't have a play and trade, but I don't see them dedicating a whole lot of space to vintage games at the expense of their modern titles. Inversely, if they do it all online they still don't have my money. I've bought used games off Ebay from time to time, but only when I had an exact photo of the item in question so I know what I'm getting. If Gamestop just wants to show some immaculate stock photo of the game on their website and mail out copies that look like they've been chewed on by the dog with a cardboard box that has been stepped on one time too many, they can forget it. Displaying posterity is half the fun of nostalgia.
Back to top Go down
LawXiu
King Slime
King Slime
LawXiu

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty31/08/12, 12:55 pm

We don't have game stop here. We have Game and Game Station. Game station do sell old games and consoles but not many. It's normally the NES or old Gameboys. The games are normally sports.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gen2gens.com
Yukupo
King Slime
King Slime
Yukupo

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty31/08/12, 01:00 pm

I'm with Sonikku on this one. Also I don't give Gamestop my money anyway. It's sad that all their games are used. Any game out of the plastic wrap I consider to be used. Yet they sell them for new prices. What gives. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.chrisfulkerson.com
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty31/08/12, 02:04 pm

Yukupo wrote:
I'm with Sonikku on this one. Also I don't give Gamestop my money anyway. It's sad that all their games are used. Any game out of the plastic wrap I consider to be used. Yet they sell them for new prices. What gives. Razz

It's worse than that. Employees are allowed to borrow ANY game even "new"games for 4 days. That now used game is sold for new price. It's one thing I never did working there as it didn't feel right to me.
Back to top Go down
Yukupo
King Slime
King Slime
Yukupo

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty31/08/12, 02:08 pm

I know, that makes it even worse. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.chrisfulkerson.com
LawXiu
King Slime
King Slime
LawXiu

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty31/08/12, 04:22 pm

That is wrong. Years ago Game used to sell games with a returns policy, if you didn't like it you could have a refund within ten days. But then they sold them on as new. Also wrong. I did take advantage though and used them like a hire company. My brother was there every weekend.
Back to top Go down
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty31/08/12, 04:23 pm

PnT lets you try the games in store. 30 days to return any game.
Back to top Go down
LawXiu
King Slime
King Slime
LawXiu

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty31/08/12, 04:30 pm

Never heard of them. We've only got two dedicated chains in the UK as far as I know. The rest are shops like HMV. Tesco and ASDA (Wallmart) are selling them as well and their prices are quite competitive. Last year Game announced financial difficulties but I haven't heard any more. There are some independent shops around but they are expensive. London has loads of them.
Back to top Go down
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty31/08/12, 04:43 pm

PnT is US only unlike Gamestop. They are in the UK a little bit and off shores but is US based. However I like Mom n Pop shops best. My local shop I did a viedo on but they are my fave. Another thing I do for game hunting is thrift shops. Some also go to flea markets. I have yet to see any in Utah yet
Back to top Go down
Frozen
Kupo
Kupo
Frozen

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty01/09/12, 06:14 am

'Gamestop bringing back retro games' including SMB3 for only £10.00 used!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/FrozenOsu
Mittens2317
Kupo
Kupo
Mittens2317

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty01/09/12, 07:33 am

I think actual retro gear only appeals to collectors nowadays. There's so many classics being re-released left right and centre that there's no real need for people like myself to invest in old shit. And most of the time, if there's that one game that you love playin on the system itself (eg Super Mario Kart on SNES, Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast), chances are the people who'd buy it already have it.

Then again, many of the indie shops in Manchester still sell old cartridge and Dreamcast games, so it could do well. It just won't take off the way they'll be expecting it too.

(Then again again, I ain't American, so I'm probably squeezin a meat cigar out of my mouth)
Back to top Go down
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty01/09/12, 12:02 pm

I agree that it's mostly collectors. However thanks to you tube with all the collectors there and getting others into collecting as well as PAX and more. Many shops are popping up for collectors.I think Gamestop realizes there is a market there and trying to capitalize. However I doubt many collectors go to Gamestop as they are concerned with condition and such so go to Ebay or a local shop or some import store.
Back to top Go down
KiBa
Kupo
Kupo
KiBa

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty03/09/12, 12:57 am

So, I guess this is Gamestop's attempt to stall the inevitable shrinkage of the physical gaming industry. It's not something I necessarily object to. I love retro games. But in my experience, local game stores always have more stuff than chains anyway. I've never failed to find whatever new game I wanted, properly sealed. And then you've got 30 years worth of other stuff to discover. It's a lot more fun. Digital delivery will definitely hurt physical shops, but it's their own colossal arrogance or short-sightedness (pretty similar vices) that makes them complain about it. In fact, it's their fault. The internet made the new landscape inevitable. When it's a matter of investors complaining about $1.5 billion in profits because it's less than the projected $1.6 billion, that's obviously totally absurd and the company is too big anyhow. So, I don't think physical stores will go anywhere, but they're going to have to shirk and the monopolies will have to go. And that's a very good thing for consumers. No more getting ripped off, and the industry won't be so inflated. There needs to be a "back to reality" movement in most segments of the economy.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop bringing back retro games   Gamestop bringing back retro games Empty

Back to top Go down

Gamestop bringing back retro games
Page 1 of 1