GEN2GEN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GEN2GEN Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog inTools of the trade BxhJj1y
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What games are you playing?
Tools of the trade Empty13/01/16, 05:22 pm by queenzelda

» Rodea delayed again
Tools of the trade Empty13/01/16, 05:18 pm by queenzelda

» What's on your mind
Tools of the trade Empty13/08/15, 11:58 pm by queenzelda

» Post some funny stuff
Tools of the trade Empty12/08/15, 06:10 pm by queenzelda

» Welcome thread
Tools of the trade Empty12/08/15, 06:00 pm by queenzelda

» Anyone need anything?
Tools of the trade Empty06/08/15, 05:08 pm by sonikku

» Fave Nintendo system
Tools of the trade Empty06/08/15, 05:05 pm by sonikku

» Are you voting?
Tools of the trade Empty06/08/15, 04:52 pm by sonikku

» Music you\re listening to now
Tools of the trade Empty03/08/15, 04:15 pm by queenzelda

Tools of the trade

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Agent Of Fortune
Kupo
Kupo

Tools of the trade Empty
PostSubject: Tools of the trade   Tools of the trade Empty27/09/12, 12:40 pm

I was just wondering what some of the tools that people here use for game design, art work, programming, etc?

Here's some of the things I use, or have been trying to get proficient at:

Notepad++
At my heart I'm a programmer, so I've got a softspot in my heart for Notepad++ . Great little text editor for scripts, css files, etc.

Unity
A pretty handy 3D game engine. There's a steep learning curve, and not everything always works like it should, but at the price of free, it makes it so you can build things pretty easily. I've never built a game with outside assets I've built myself yet, though.

Blender
A great free 3D modeling program. Pretty steep learning curve, but once you get it, you can do almost anything with it.

Visual Studio .NET
I use VS for all of my programming, from web design to hopefully someday application or mobile app development. Pretty steep price tag, if you're doing things professionally, though.
Back to top Go down
Yukupo
King Slime
King Slime
Yukupo

Tools of the trade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools of the trade   Tools of the trade Empty27/09/12, 01:25 pm

Photoshop. It's a little known known program used for making graphics. Razz

I definitely use Blender too for 3D. I'm starting to use 3DS Max here but I haven't done any 3D yet at my internship. I was also using sculptris for high res 3D stuff. I want to try out Zbrush too.

Paint Tool Sai is my painting program of choice. A lot nicer to paint in than Photoshop but not as deep as Corel Painter. The interface is a million times better than Painter though.

I also found out that The Gimp was useful today for making ICO files pretty easily.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chrisfulkerson.com
Frozen
Kupo
Kupo
Frozen

Tools of the trade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools of the trade   Tools of the trade Empty27/09/12, 02:45 pm

I often use Fireworks more than Photoshop (CS2), but I just find it easier to use. I'm hoping to learn Blender soon, and start work on Unity.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/FrozenOsu
Segata
King Slime
King Slime
Segata

Tools of the trade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools of the trade   Tools of the trade Empty28/09/12, 03:38 am

In retard terms so someone like me can understand. What is the real difference in these engines? (also note if about to use a Car analogy I know jack shit about them Razz )

I know PS & GIMP as I have gimp. Just never figured much of what it can do. Unity I know basically is a engine as a nice cheaper alt to 2 million for let's say Cry Engine. That said I still don't understand.

I may run the site and know much about gaming....development side of things I'm in the dark. So curious to know more. Who knows I may have a calling I never knew about.
Back to top Go down
Frozen
Kupo
Kupo
Frozen

Tools of the trade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools of the trade   Tools of the trade Empty28/09/12, 09:22 am

Ryudo wrote:
In retard terms so someone like me can understand. What is the real difference in these engines? (also note if about to use a Car analogy I know jack shit about them Razz )

I know PS & GIMP as I have gimp. Just never figured much of what it can do. Unity I know basically is a engine as a nice cheaper alt to 2 million for let's say Cry Engine. That said I still don't understand.

I may run the site and know much about gaming....development side of things I'm in the dark. So curious to know more. Who knows I may have a calling I never knew about.

Different engines can have different layouts, some easier than others, and can also provide different features. Unity for free, for example, does not allow dynamic shadowing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/FrozenOsu
Yukupo
King Slime
King Slime
Yukupo

Tools of the trade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools of the trade   Tools of the trade Empty07/10/12, 11:55 am

I don't even know the major differences between a lot of these things because they're pretty complex and I haven't worked with much directly. But what Frozen said is correct.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chrisfulkerson.com
Sponsored content

Tools of the trade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools of the trade   Tools of the trade Empty

Back to top Go down

Tools of the trade
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GEN2GEN :: Gaming :: General gaming-
Jump to: